Wednesday, November 3, 2010
JLO's Rotisserie Chicken
- 1 whole (organic) chicken
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- thyme & rosemary
- salt, pepper, paprika, and cayenne pepper
1. Preheat oven at 400 degrees.
2. Cover baking tray with foil for easier clean up.
3. Create a bed of veggies for the chicken to lay on, which will absorb all the fat. Stuff the chicken with veggies and herbs.
4. Rub butter all over breasts, underneath the skin.
5. Place chicken on its back and bake for 12 minutes.
6. Flip the chicken on its belly and bake for the remaining time. (TIP: For every pound, add 12 minutes)
7. Allow chicken to cool for a few minutes, otherwise the juices will release.
1. Place all veggies and released juices into a pot, along with 1 1/2 cup of water or chicken broth.
2. Add 2 teaspoons of corn starch (mix with a teaspoon of water) to thicken gravy.
3. Wait until it reaches a boil and serve when ready.
Carcass (yes, the possibilities are endless!)
1. You can either make a chicken broth or congee (rice porridge) from the carcass.
2. Place the carcass into pot, along with 6-8 cups of water.
3. Wait until it reaches a boil and place 1/2 cup of rice into the pot.
4. Boil for at least 2 hours (you can shorten this time by using 1 cup of cooked leftover rice).
SPECIAL THANKS to Janet (http://jloeats.com/), who inspired these dishes. I've made this 4 times over the past month!