My mom always makes this during the winter and it's a great, healthy dessert!
Ginger Yam Tong Sui ("Sweet Soup")
- 1 large yam (my mom likes to use both regular and japanese yams)
- 1 piece of ginger
- 1 stick of Chinese brown candy (it's basically a brick of brown sugar that you can find at any Chinese market)
- 5 cups of water
- 8-10 red bean or sesame glutinous rice balls (optional)
- Bring water to a boil.
- Peel and cube yam.
- Place the yam into the water, bring it to medium heat for 30 minutes (or until the yam is soft).
- Add the ginger, sugar, and glutinous rice balls.
- Tong Sui is ready once the glutinous rice balls float atop.