A great wintery soup I learned from my Po Po's (grandmother's) kitchen! Light, warm, and good for your health. :o)
- 3 chicken drumsticks (leave skin on) or you can also use 1/3 lb of pork shoulder
- 2-3 bundles of watercress
- 8 cups of water
- 3-4 dried red dates
- 3 chopped medium-sized carrots
- 2 thin slices of ginger
- 6 peeled fresh water chestnuts (don't use the canned ones!)
- Wash watercress thoroughly.
- Bring water to a boil, then place meat and boil at high/medium heat for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Place carrots, red dates, and water chestnuts into pot. Bring heat to medium and let it cook for another 15-20 minutes.
- Place watercress and ginger in pot for about 5 minutes.
- Add salt for flavor.